Attend to your emotional body. Access deep body wisdom.
Connect deeply to yourself.
“…and I said to my body softly – I just want to be with you – I want to be your friend. It took a long breath and replied – I’ve been waiting my whole life for this.”
Somatic (body-focused) Learning sessions are an invitation to learn about yourself and your body. This is an opportunity to discover deep aspects of your nervous system and physiology – to develop an awareness of the roots of your physical concerns and more familiarity with your inner life.
Somatic Inquiry views the body-mind as an integrated energy system. Tap in to the wisdom of your body. Our experience of any event in our lives must come through the sensory systems that move through our body – a pulsing network of nerves – and finally registering in the mind. Trauma lives on in the cells of the body. Healthy functioning is a physical as well as emotional experience – and if we struggle in any part of the body-mind continuum – our whole bodily system is effected.
This work allows you to pay attention to your body in a way that integrates the nervous system, mind and heart into healing from relational trauma, chronic defensive patterns and automatic stress responses.
We work with the wisdom of the body and the nervous system, not just the understanding of the mind, to shift what is no longer serving you and understand what you need to create new healing strategies for growth. This is time to focus on your body and to notice and heal from critical self-talk and judgment of your body and yourself.
Somatic Inquiry views the ways that you have survived until now as adaptive and intelligent – understanding how your past has shaped you, and how with ongoing support, you can gain a new awareness of your feelings and symptoms – and over time, you can develop a new sense of ease within yourself.
Embodied Relational Therapy is an integrative approach combining gentle movement, humanistic & somatic psychology, unconscious relational themes, attachment patterns, and touch energy work. Sessions focus on paying attention to symptoms in your body – noticing the emotional roots of your concern – while noticing longstanding relational patterns – with a heart-centered focus on healing the emotional body and the mind-body-emotion connection by working through such issues as anxiety, depression, trauma and stress.
This is an integrated experience for your body, mind and heart that is focused on habits, patterns, symptoms and the emotional roots of your concerns.
Your nervous system has an innate ability to be in balance and flow. To heal from depression, anxiety, stress or chronic pain & illness.
Together, you can learn and practice and cultivate embodied, emotional & physical well-being & be in the flow of your life.
Anxiety, depression, and trauma keep you out of present moment awareness. Present moment awareness is body-based, not in our thoughts – learning how to be present means learning how to engage in the felt sense of your body.
Why Focus on the Present Moment?
It is acknowledging one’s feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations in the present moment – has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety and depression – When you are with what’s happening now, you aren’t thinking about the past or the future – worrying or ruminating.
What to Expect
Explore your present moment awareness through various embodied relational practices. – We will sit, stand, move, connect and share together. Simple effective practices to support your daily life.
You will experience your body as it is – without resistance – and new awareness will arise within you – you will soften and relax, release chronic pain, allow for body acceptance and a deep understanding of what’s happening in your body.
You can choose how we work together:
- In a chair – sessions can address emotional struggles, chronic pain, anxiety, depression, eating concerns, and relationship conflicts, and be supportive during life transitions. I use a variety of methods, including verbal dialogue, Relational Psychotherapy, Integrated Body Psychotherapy, Somatic Experiencing, Embodied Mindfulness and somatic practices. (in-person or via Skype)
- On a thick padded mat – sessions are a hands-on form based on body-systems work, Somatic Experiencing, and somatic movement therapy. Sessions can address chronic pain, chronic defensive & holding patterns in the body that cause excessive tension, injury recovery, energy system imbalances and emotional blocks.
We will go at your pace, in your time – this is an opportunity for you to be present, find clarity, and deepen awareness about how you relate to yourself, your relationships, and your life, therefore allowing for empowered and meaningful change in beliefs and behaviours that keep us stuck in unhealthy patterns.
You will come back to your body to become aware of areas in your body and mind that feel stuck, numb, painful or chronic – and have an opportunity to release what you’ve been holding on to, that may no longer be serving you. You can release the mental and emotional habits that may be blocking your flow of aliveness.
We shift attention from ‘thinking’ to ‘awareness’ and ‘noticing’ what’s happening in the here & now. By getting out of the perpetual cycle of rumination, racing thoughts & worry – and into our bodies in the moment, we live more authentic, empowered lives.
Here are some benefits that clients have reported:
- New body awareness – and a feeling of ease in the body and mind
- An awareness of how stored trauma, unresolved emotion, chronic pain and self-limiting beliefs impact your current choices, behaviours, and relationships
- Exploration of your internal relationships with your body, thoughts, and feelings
- Creation of a positive and healthy relationship with yourself, your body and with others
- Cultivation of acceptance of your body – sometimes for the first time
- Alleviation of chronic body pain caused by chronic conditions such as fibromyalgia
- Connection to your inner resources of self-awareness and embodied mindfulness & a renewed connection to your inner-wisdom and to the intellect of your body
- Awareness, acceptance, profound presence and compassion for self and others – sustained feelings in your body, long after our time together
- You are never more than one feeling away from a completely new experience of being alive – a new experience of aliveness awaits you
Each moment offers a new reality
a new experience, to make everything alive and full.
I feel how it affects me when I’m only in my head, with my thoughts,
and when I really feel into my tissues, my nerves, my bones.
When I am really sensitive from moment to moment to moment.
I live a completely different life.